Jan 21, 2016

Unknown Tree

Tree Species : Uknown 
Collected On : Jan 21, 2016 
Season : Peak winter, 15-18°C min temperature

I found this growing in a crack on the concrete floor, near the car park. Just pulled it out with my fingers. I know it is a shady tree but  I don't know the species name yet.

Extra leaves removed and rest cut to 1/3rd size
to minimize water loss. Leaving some leaves 
also gives a visual clue to the plant's health.

Luckily I managed to get some roots. My grow pot for this is a bottle, with one cut half inverted and full of holes, for better aeration and air pruning. The bottle's neck is filled with cocopeat, followed by a layer of moist cow manure, followed by my bonsai soil mix. The plant's roots are sitting on a plastic cap, to encourage their side growth, for future surface roots (nebari). 



It was then filled up with the soil mix and watered till it started dripping from below. I like to put a ball of newspaper below, touching the bottle cap ( 4 holes in it) so that excess water is absorbed, instead of lingering in pot for too long. A small stone in the bottom half adds stability to the setup, else it can topple easily due to being top heavy. The pot will be kept in shade for 2-4 weeks, avoiding direct sunlight.



Suspected cause : Too much garden soil in the bonsai mix. Should have added more sand and watered less I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment

---- YOU CAN COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY TOO, WITHOUT LOGGING IN ----