Jan 26, 2016

Ficus Religiosa (Peepal tree) No. 2

Tree Species : Ficus Religiosa (Peepal tree)
Collected On : Aug 13, 2015




Aug 13





Aug 13

Sept 6


Oct 7, 2015


UPDATE


Specimen 1 died due roots being oxygen starved & rotted. The substrate had too much soil, a beginner mistake. Please note that the culprit was not root rot or over watering - it was lack of oxygen. Better substrate could have prevented the loss.

The 2nd piece survives but is not doing so great. Re-potting needed soon.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Vinny. Nice Post and exactly what I was looking for. I too pulled 4-5 ficus religiosa trunks off of the wall to make bonsai. I have planned to keep them in water for about a month for root generation though they have few roots after being pulled. The bottom part of the trunks are not uniformly cut and look some what ripped like your cuttings in the pic. Did you give them a clean cut before planting? I also noticed that there are no posts in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Akki, thanks for visiting my blog. In the above case, I collected a few thick uprooted peepal trees, discarded by the garden crew in our colony. I reduced the root depth a bit, did not level it. If the trunk is brown in color then i do not recommend water rooting, as it will rot unless you give it extreme care and change water daily. Water rooting is fine for green stems of peepal. The brown trunks or cuttings are better suited for a solid medium like filtered sand or cocopeat. My focus has shifted from blog to youtube, since the audience reach & engagement is far superior there. I do have a few posts in 2017, if you click on home page. Currently I am busy working on a long format bonsai related video, hence my posts have decreased on both platforms. I am planning to publish it in May 2017. So stay subscribed to be notified. :-)

      Delete

---- YOU CAN COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY TOO, WITHOUT LOGGING IN ----