Jan 6, 2016

Uknown Species - Thorny Weed

Shrub species : Probably this (thorny weed)
Onsite pruning on : Jan 4, 2016 
Season : Peak winter, 15-18°C min temperature

This is one of my several specimens which have been pruned on site but not yet been collected. It is better that the plant heals first, with its original root system intact, in its home environment.

It already looks like a bonsai ! Thats what I call instant bonsai !

After a month or two I will dig a small trench around the base and cut off the roots outside the base circle and leave it in ground for a month to recover. This staggered approach should increase my chances of a successful transplant. 

Though these are hardy plants, I have had 2 bad experiences in the past while transplanting them, partly bcos I was a newbie. This approach might seem luxurious but I am not in a hurry either. I have 40+ specimens at home keeping me busy !

 

Before & After pruning

If the tap root goes deep, then there won't be any root ball and I will just cut the root an inch below ground and treat it as a cutting.

  

UPDATE  - June 10, 2016


I didn't dig around the plant to cut roots, as planned, since this plant remained unchanged till early May. Not even a single new leaf ! Then some rains brought relief to the dry parched land and new leaves started sprouting on this. By June, many new branches had sprouted. 








2nd Pruning on June 10th, 2016





Red Velvet Mite

Going by past experiences, I am not hopeful of finding a root ball. So, in July, once rains start, I plan to peel a ring of bark just below soil surface and fill the area around the trunk with coarse sand for ground layering. A month's time in monsoon should see fast growth of secondary branches and new roots. Another round of pruning will happen at the time of collecting this plant. My home awaits you, dear bonsai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

---- YOU CAN COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY TOO, WITHOUT LOGGING IN ----