Sep 21, 2016

How To : Rooting a leaf cutting of Ficus Racemosa

Tree species : Cluster Fig Tree (Ficus Racemosa, Indian Fig Tree, Goolar Fig)
Leaf taken on : Sept 1, 2016

I took this leaf from a big tree, to compare & show the leaf size reduction I achieved in my bonsai plants of the same species. Then, instead of throwing it away, I thought - why not root it in water and see ! Just plain water, changed twice a week, no rooting hormones.

propagation by leaf cuttings of ficus1
Sept 18
propagation by leaf cuttings of ficus2
Sept 21 

I remembered seeing a rooted banyan tree leaf very recently on google search and I was influenced by it. I had not seen anything like it, all my life. But today when I rechecked online, I realized I accidentally outperformed even them bcos they rooted a tiny stem cutting with a big leaf attached. It was not a leaf stalk as I had mistakenly thought. Sometimes, ignorance is good :-) Here is what I am talking about.

So, in my case, the leaf  stalk has rooted. There is no node, stem or trunk at all. I am just curious where this is headed. I cannot imagine a new shoot sprouting on this. Once the leaf dies, the whole thing dies, is my guess. But then, it defeats the purpose of rooting. Anyway, I am half expecting the leaf to prove me wrong :-)

If any of you have experience in rooting leaf cuttings or seen something online, please share it in the comments below.


bonsai leaf size reduction 1
Full size vs. my leaf, miniaturized in 1 yr
bonsai leaf size reduction 2
Next to tiny rooted cuttings of the same plant.


Goolar / Ficus Racemosa / Cluster Fig Tree / Indian Fig Tree 1
Tree on roadside
Goolar / Ficus Racemosa / Cluster Fig Tree / Indian Fig Tree 2
New leaves 


Read the story of how I acquired my first bonsai specimen of this species : Plant no. 1 in my bonsai collection

 Goolar / Ficus Racemosa / Cluster Fig Tree / Indian Fig Tree Sapling

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello , can cluster FIG grow from seeds? I live in Texas united States. I am looking for this plants from last 10 years but didn't find any here.please let me know how to grow them using seeds.
    Please reply.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I suppose you can but I have never tried nor having any plans. You could search on youtube for it but cuttings are way easier, if you can find a seller online there. If you do not find seeds online easily, try Indian sites like ebay.in or amazon.in

    ReplyDelete

---- YOU CAN COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY TOO, WITHOUT LOGGING IN ----