Sep 22, 2016

Scarification & Germination Of Delonix Regia Seeds (Royal Poinciana / Gulmohar Tree)

Tree species : Delonix Regia (Gulmohar / Royal Poinciana / Flame Tree / Flamboyant Tree)
Started on : Sept 14, 2016


I scraped the round end on sand paper and soaked in water for over a day, to let the outer waterproof coating peel away. It was then planted into cocopeat and watered. 



Delonix Regia Seed Pods (Royal Poinciana / Gulmohar Tree) Seed pods
Scarification & Germination Of Delonix Regia Seeds (Royal Poinciana / Gulmohar Tree) 2K image

In 3 days time, it germinated, in my first attempt itself. Feels good :-) I have never seen this tree's seedlings on ground ever. This tree, commonly seen on roadsides in India, is always sourced from nurseries. 

Though I am experimenting with seeds, let me tell straight away, the fastest & superior way to bonsai (both mini & large) is thru air-layering. Seedlings are just fun & educational. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I thought you need to scrape the pointed end, as this is the end which attached to the seed pod and produces the root. I am actually using nail clippers to clip a very small section of the end of the seed. I have planted 8 as a test, one has sprouted but the rest have rotted. It could be because its very hot here in Cyprus and the soil is too warm. time will tell, I am trying another method now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott, it is best to avoid scraping the pointed end bcos the root emerges from there and can easily be damaged if you overdo it. The round end is safer to scrape and nip with a nailcutter. Once, the waterproof surface of the seed is damaged, overnight soaking in water will be enough to move into a soil mix, where it can germinate. Rotting of the seed means, it was in water for too long. In that case, just let it soak for 12 hours instead of 24. Just a thought. But as far as plant propagation is concerned, the best method is to find a branch of the desired thickness and air layer it. I would even encourage branch ramification after pruning the specimen while it is on the tree. Air layering would be then done when i am happy with the primary branch structure, say 6-12 months later, from first pruning. All the best !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks for the info, I am trying a new method just for testing / curiosity. I have 15 seeds that I have clipped and 15 which have not been clipped, soaked for 12 hours, now they are wrapped in damp tissue paper and placed in a plastic bag.

    Already the clipped seeds have swollen whereas the non-clipped ones have not, so I am not expecting much from them, we shall see.

    I will try the air layer method, but not sure if it’s too hot at the moment, also as the branches are in such heave dense leaf and flowering I wonder if it would cause too much stress for the branch that I choose, what do you think?

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally scrapped a little bit more of the curved end .
    Will it still be fine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is wilting. I haven't over watered it. And the soil is never soaked. Help!

    ReplyDelete

---- YOU CAN COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY TOO, WITHOUT LOGGING IN ----